Haunt the House Haunt the House

Years later, and this is still one of my favorite games on Newgrounds. I love everything about it! Not many games put you in the role of a ghost trying to scare people, which is a shame-- because as this game and its sequels have proven, it's a LOT of fun. I've been able to S-rank it about two or three times, and it's a test of patience. A fun test.

Also the ghost is really adorable and if you guys made a plushie of it I bet it would sell pretty well. I'd buy one. Just a suggestion.

SOLUNA SOLUNA

I'll give you credit for the effort. I know it takes a tremendous amount of effort to program games-- I sure as heck couldn't do it. However, I do have a fair bit of criticism for this game.

First of all, it needs variation. While the atmosphere and music are excellent, the rest of the game can get a little repetitive at times-- particularly the scenery, which pretty much was unchanging for most of the game. I get that you wanted it to be dark, like at nighttime, but it was the same shapes over and over again. Trees. Stone pillars. Grass. You could have added some rocks or bushes, or maybe even some background items, like small buildings or other structures, to differentiate the different areas. When I was exploring, I didn't really feel like I was going anywhere new, just the same place over and over again. A break from the monotony would have been welcome, even if it was just one small area.

Other things that were repetitive were the enem(y)ies and the combat. It was just the same kind of enemy over and over-- same amount of health, same attack pattern. A few different kinds of creatures would have been welcome. Maybe some wolf-like creatures and a flying enemy. And speaking of same attack patterns, the hero's attack, while nice and solid, would have been better if maybe he got stronger at some point, or just speed the attack up a little when he gets to a certain point.

On the topic of speed, that's probably my biggest issue with the game... the hero is a little bit too slow. It seems like it takes forever to get anywhere. Even jumping and climbing feel like a chore (though I do like that he has to ledge-grab to get to higher places, it's not something you see a lot in platformers these days). Of course, speeding up the game would draw attention to the fact that it's fairly short, which I think is kind of a detriment. Even adding just one more area, perhaps when the world is in daylight, would lengthen it suitably.

Now that that's over with, on to what I liked!
The music was very nice, even if it was just five tracks-- it really adds to the atmosphere, which is very dark and almost brooding. If it weren't for the fact that the scenery isn't varied enough, I would have been completely immersed. The story, while short and typical of a retro-style platformer, had me wondering about the world, and the people within it. The final battle was great, too (the homage to Zelda was a nice touch), though I could have gone without fighting the skeletons again.

All in all, while the game needed more variety and was a bit slow, it has an interesting concept and was relatively fun to play. I hope you don't take my criticisms too hard, after all, this is only your second game, so you have lots of room to improve in future projects-- and I really do hope to see some more projects from you.

Keep on truckin'!

VanDiest responds:

Hey thanks a lot for your review. This was my 2nd game ever so I wanted to keep it relatively short since, like you said, it takes a lot of work to make games and I made this almost completely alone. I will take everything you said into consideration for my next game, and who knows maybe there will be a part 2 :)

This is the Only Level 3 This is the Only Level 3

Elephant O-OVERDRIVE!

Another fun entry in this series. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the reference to Touhou in there.
But that aside, it seems like I'm not going to be getting any sleep tonight... must... finish level!

The Legend of Zelda:LOL The Legend of Zelda:LOL

Not bad for a beginner

Of course, there's still room for a whole lot of improvement. Still, your actionscripting's not bad, and it was a nice little waste of time.
Maybe you could add some enemies next time?
Also, the "CLICK HERE TO GO BACK" doesn't work, you may want fo fix that.
One more thing- find a better song. Other than that, not bad! Not bad at all.

Effing Hail Effing Hail

Good game.

Kinda fun.
Lose the timer.
Yeah, it's been said before.

Foreign Creature Foreign Creature

Very entertaining!

I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed this, even though I'm not one for excessive blood and gore. It's got an interesting premise, and the animation is superb. I can't wait for the next part... there is going to be another one, right? D:

(Twisted) Cooking Mama (Twisted) Cooking Mama

Fun!

(Get ready for a lot of parentheses!)
This game was pretty fun! I think you greatly exaggerated the gruesomeness of preparing a turkey and its various trimmings for Thanksgiving, but I'll forgive you for that because PETA brainwashed you with their false truths and propaganda. (I've helped to prepare turkey before, and the eggs we eat are unfertilized, and thus, will never become baby chickens, so not feathers and blood in the yolks.)

The graphics were pretty nice, and while the gameplay was sometimes frustrating, the mechanics were good. The animations were clean and crisp, and, had this not been a propaganda-laden game, I would have given it a perfect score. Not too fond of the message you're trying to shove down my throat, but that really doesn't bother me 'cause my parents taught me how to think for myself. (I could be meaner, but I've made a vow to only get angry at the heads of PETA, not their poor, brainwashed members.)

The very last level was entirely too easy, as well as being pig-disgusting (in my opinion), though. Tofu is pretty nasty (it's only good when it's been sweetened and fried!).

Also, a fair warning to you- Nintendo may not have taken legal action against you for your previous entry, but Cooking Mama is a Majesco property that Nintendo merely publishes. Majesco may persue legal action.
Why?
Because Majesco does what Nintendon't.
So be careful, okay?

Ignite people on Fire Ignite people on Fire

Hahahahahaa!

I LOVE this game. LOVE it. Who knew that setting people on fire could be so much fun? :D
Me, a pyromaniac? Of course not! ... Okay, maybe.

Bat Outta Hell! Bat Outta Hell!

This game...

It's a hell of a lot of fun! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
I'm a bat freak- I love everything that has anything to do with bats. ^_^ But even if I weren't, this game is still fun and I definitely would add it to my favorites.

Detective Grimoire Detective Grimoire

This is brilliant!

This is, perhaps, the most entertaining detective-type game I have ever played! You guys really did a superb job creating this!

Graphics: Okay, not exactly state of the art, but the animation was smooth and the style fit the scenario very well. Not the best, but definitely not the worst.
Style: As I said before, the style fit the scenario well.
Sound: A perfect mix of suspenseful tunes!
Violence: Well, we didn't really see anything happen, but there was a bloody murder!
Interactivity: I like how you could interact with nearly everything.
Humor: There was also a bit of humor placed appropriately. I nearly died laughing when... ah, never mind. I won't spoil it for people who haven't played it yet.

So, overall, this is gaming gold. A shining star among flash games.
I can't wait for the sequel! (You ARE making a sequel, right? *looks hopeful*)

-Sakuya Himura