Short Story About Ponies Short Story About Ponies

I am vaguely reminded of the works of Don Hertzfeldt. Only with ponies! Good show, old bean. Everything about this is perfect... though the voices are a little soft (it works, though).

TouhouBoPCHP1 TouhouBoPCHP1

That is some pretty darn good sprite animation right there! It was short, but sweet. Good work, I can't wait for the next part!

Mameshi-BUH?!? Mameshi-BUH?!?

I have three Mameshiba plushies sitting next to me right now... awwwwkward.
But seriously, this is the best thing ever. I'm about to keel over laughing here!
Oh man, that animation was smooth! And the music was perfect!

Haunt the House Haunt the House

Years later, and this is still one of my favorite games on Newgrounds. I love everything about it! Not many games put you in the role of a ghost trying to scare people, which is a shame-- because as this game and its sequels have proven, it's a LOT of fun. I've been able to S-rank it about two or three times, and it's a test of patience. A fun test.

Also the ghost is really adorable and if you guys made a plushie of it I bet it would sell pretty well. I'd buy one. Just a suggestion.

SOLUNA SOLUNA

I'll give you credit for the effort. I know it takes a tremendous amount of effort to program games-- I sure as heck couldn't do it. However, I do have a fair bit of criticism for this game.

First of all, it needs variation. While the atmosphere and music are excellent, the rest of the game can get a little repetitive at times-- particularly the scenery, which pretty much was unchanging for most of the game. I get that you wanted it to be dark, like at nighttime, but it was the same shapes over and over again. Trees. Stone pillars. Grass. You could have added some rocks or bushes, or maybe even some background items, like small buildings or other structures, to differentiate the different areas. When I was exploring, I didn't really feel like I was going anywhere new, just the same place over and over again. A break from the monotony would have been welcome, even if it was just one small area.

Other things that were repetitive were the enem(y)ies and the combat. It was just the same kind of enemy over and over-- same amount of health, same attack pattern. A few different kinds of creatures would have been welcome. Maybe some wolf-like creatures and a flying enemy. And speaking of same attack patterns, the hero's attack, while nice and solid, would have been better if maybe he got stronger at some point, or just speed the attack up a little when he gets to a certain point.

On the topic of speed, that's probably my biggest issue with the game... the hero is a little bit too slow. It seems like it takes forever to get anywhere. Even jumping and climbing feel like a chore (though I do like that he has to ledge-grab to get to higher places, it's not something you see a lot in platformers these days). Of course, speeding up the game would draw attention to the fact that it's fairly short, which I think is kind of a detriment. Even adding just one more area, perhaps when the world is in daylight, would lengthen it suitably.

Now that that's over with, on to what I liked!
The music was very nice, even if it was just five tracks-- it really adds to the atmosphere, which is very dark and almost brooding. If it weren't for the fact that the scenery isn't varied enough, I would have been completely immersed. The story, while short and typical of a retro-style platformer, had me wondering about the world, and the people within it. The final battle was great, too (the homage to Zelda was a nice touch), though I could have gone without fighting the skeletons again.

All in all, while the game needed more variety and was a bit slow, it has an interesting concept and was relatively fun to play. I hope you don't take my criticisms too hard, after all, this is only your second game, so you have lots of room to improve in future projects-- and I really do hope to see some more projects from you.

Keep on truckin'!

VanDiest responds:

Hey thanks a lot for your review. This was my 2nd game ever so I wanted to keep it relatively short since, like you said, it takes a lot of work to make games and I made this almost completely alone. I will take everything you said into consideration for my next game, and who knows maybe there will be a part 2 :)

This is the Only Level 3 This is the Only Level 3

Elephant O-OVERDRIVE!

Another fun entry in this series. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the reference to Touhou in there.
But that aside, it seems like I'm not going to be getting any sleep tonight... must... finish level!

[Mima's Castle ~ Castle Reincarnation] [Mima's Castle ~ Castle Reincarnation]

I just pulled this up in another tab without looking, and I can honestly say I was *not* expecting Castlevania in there with Reincarnation... but holy crap, does it ever work well! 5 stars! Of course, I may be a *little* biased, since Mima is my favorite 2hu.

MeisterMach5 responds:

I really want this idea to be further expanded on by artists much more talented than I, as I'm sure they'll be able to do something INSANE with the groundwork. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Hopefully Mima gets a chance to shine in canon Touhou games once more, but at least there are always fan games and projects to keep an eye out for.

Nuclear Fusion Nuclear Fusion

Utsuho was a Robot Master all along! I KNEW IT! This is pretty darn awesome, my only complaint is that it seems a little... long?

As Peaceful As Gensokyo As Peaceful As Gensokyo

This is amazing! Why doesn't it have a higher rating?
Closing my eyes, I can envision myself in Gensokyo, relaxing at the Hakurei Shrine... and then Yukari steals all of the snacks. Goddammit, Yukari.
You totally captured the spirit of the song, and for your first venture into "kind-of-like-Japanese" music, you did wonderful!

Gls responds:

And the funny thing is, I actually imagined the same thing as you did, seriously. xD
Anyway, thank you very much for the review!

nal - Reviews nal - Reviews

Hee hee...

That's pretty funny. Cute, too. :3
Oh, and... um...
In the last panel with the guy in it, his left arm seems to be colorless. Other than that, very nice!

nal1200 responds:

Oh noes!

I had like 30 layers, so I probably missed something.

Thanks!

The Sunset I Want To Die To The Sunset I Want To Die To

That's...

... Beautiful. Simply beautiful.
The colors are just perfect, and for some odd reason, they make me nostalgic...

EKublai responds:

thanks!

Gunda Gunda

This is really awesome.

Seriously dude, this is a beautiful environmental piece. The colors are just perfect, and the lines are really crisp. It really feel like I'm watching the sun set/rise.
Treetop villages FTW!
(Ah, and thanks for scouting me. :3)